June: A Word from the Pastor


IMG_0580The history of Hillcrest Chapel has been long and a rich history focused on declaring the gospel of Jesus Christ.

In honor of our new move and renaming our new location as Hillcrest Bible Church I would like to share the dates and events of Hillcrest Chapel.

History of the Church

  • 1923, summer–  Charlotte Mary Beable and Effie Camp started a Sunday School.
  • 1927, March – “Hillcrest Bible School” met in the old Bingham house.
  • 1935 – The bell from the 1st school house in West Portland “Markham Primary School” was donated to the Hillcrest Bible School when the West Portland School District merged with the Portland School District.
  • 1936, fall – Building construction of the square building commenced at 5016 SW Pomona Street.
  • 1938, Nov 26 –  “Hillcrest Bible School” was incorporated with the State of Oregon.
  • 1949, Sep – 1954, May – West Hills Grade School started and operated at the building for their first five years.
  • 1953, Jan 4 – A church was founded and Herbert W. Butt was called as pastor.
  • 1955, June 2 –  “Hillcrest Chapel” was incorporated with the State of Oregon.
  • 1958, summer – The building was extended thirty feet to enlarge the basement and sanctuary.
  • 1962, Sept. – A disagreement among the elders resulted in a disruption in church fellowship and a church schism.
  • 1981 – Fourteen individuals remained at Hillcrest Chapel including Edna McLean, Wilma Pope, Bob Nelson, and Kathy Jefferson.
  • 1981, May – Phares Huggins contacted Trinity Bible Church requesting their assistance for the on- going ministry at Hillcrest Chapel.
  • 1981, Sep 1 – Hillcrest Chapel called Gary Custis to be pastor and Vern Isaac to serve as elder. Sunday, September 6th was the first Sunday with the new leadership.
  • 2016, Apr 11 – Hillcrest Chapel purchased the Glencullen Baptist Church on 4747 Cameron Road from the North American Baptists to be the new location for the church.
  • 2016 June 5 – After sixty-one years, the name of “Hillcrest Chapel” was officially changed to “Hillcrest Bible Church”.
  • 2016 June 5 – The Sunday morning worship service was the first meeting of Hillcrest Bible Church at Cameron Road.

May we continue to be faithful in preaching the word of God from scripture while proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.